Tuesday, January 5, 2010

After x months of unproductivity..

I'm finally back to work. It feels good to earn some paper again, even though the amount I earn is negligible compared to the humongous debt I owe. I am merely beginning to earn back all the money I spent partaking in retail therapy these past couple months.

Working at the daycare feels different from when I worked there as an undergrad, because I'm working with preschoolers instead of the grade school kids. I bet preschool teachers have both a high level of stress and gratification though. Preschoolers in general are so great. You can yell and scream at them like there's no tomorrow, punish them, maybe [accidentally] make them cry, but then bribe them with a sticker and bam - you're back on their good side. They also make you the cutest drawings ever, give you huge bear hugs for absolutely no reason at all, and say the goofiest most hilarious things ever. Plus they will tell you "I love you" very liberally, and you know what? You'll believe them because they're so damn cute.

When it comes to working with special populations, such as those with learning disabilities or autism, it is a whole different ball game. I'm pretty nervous about beginning my practicum next week at a preschool of children on the autism spectrum. I had a similar practicum Spring 2009, and it definitely wasn't my favorite.. in fact, it was my least favorite. I really enjoyed interning in the public school this past semester though, because I felt like I was making a difference in the lives of the kids I worked with, in some way. A few months ago, my supervisor and I had a discussion about working with kids with autism, and we both came to the conclusion that neither of us felt fulfilled in that area because we felt that the progress we make with them is so minimal. Anyway, gonna stop rambling.

Long day at work today. And yesterday. And the next two days will be just as long. Next week I'm only gonna be working 3 hours a day, but I'm gonna have to juggle it with clinical practicum and school (lol not really, my one class).

Moving out of this shit hole on Friday! :)

MySpace Tracker